I mentioned that my mom and I made our own ornament wreaths over Thanksgiving. It was really easy, but there’s a possibility that we didn’t really save any money from one we could’ve bought at the store. It was nice however to be able to pick any color combination we wanted. This is the perfect time of year to start gathering supplies because you can find wreaths and ornaments for cheap since it’s after Christmas.
I followed the instructions from this blog. I won’t go over the whole process since it already exists perfectly there, but here are my notes.
To make this wreath I used:
- an 18 inch evergreen wreath purchased on clearance for $2-$4
- a can of metallic spray paint to hide the greenery originally $8ish but got for 40% off at Michale’s
- 4 sizes of shatterproof ornaments all bought on clearance last year and this year.
– 70 large (my mom got some extra large and we decided those didn’t look that good so go for the regular big size)
– 35 medium
– 35 slightly smaller
– a still to be determined amount of tiny
- high-heat glue gun and lots of glue
- pretty ribbon to hang the wreath with
A few other notes:
- I didn’t realize when I started, but I’m pretty sure the blog linked above is using glass ornaments. I’m torn because hers looks really fancy and mine, when you get up close, is a little cheap looking. Shatterproof ornaments all have seams around the middle (except glitter covered ones), and you can’t really hide them. On the other hand I wasn’t really concerned throwing it in the trunk of my car to transport it back from Kansas because it couldn’t really be broken. A friend also pointed out that I could potentially throw mine in the bath tub wash it if needed. Just something to keep in mind.
- The other thought I had after finishing was this wreath is HUGE. My mom reminded me in a couple years I may have a house with a bigger front door and this will look just fine, but currently it’s completely taking over my narrow 1930s apartment door. So depending on your preference you may want a smaller wreath (it will also take fewer ornaments).